Plan it: Calendars, planners and notebooks

December 4, 2014


So in the spirit of getting my life in order to be able to figure it all out I thought I'd do a post on how to be organized. It's something that's so incredibly important to me, but that I always need to improve on. Over the years I've realised that when my environment is not organized, my head isn't either. I get paralyzed. Glued to the couch, thinking about all the things I should've done. These are a few general rules to keep my life fairly organised. Ps: These are only general rules, not the complete guide to an organised house or life etc.

Firstly (important)
Your diary should help you plan your day, week and month in an efficient mannor. Your calendar should help you get an overview of upcoming events, birthdays, meetings and other important dates that you need to plan around. Your notebook should include everything else, from to-do lists and ultimate goals, to drawings, things you want to do, but are not sure if you have time to etc. Remember though, this is just what I have found to help me. There are many tools and you need to find your own way of using them.

1. Get a calendar, a day planner and a notebook. If you're a tech freak, get an app. If not, I would suggest one of these Moleskins, which is what I've got. Some day planners are large enough to fit the stuff you would put in a notebook. Figure out what suits you best. Now bookmark this page and come back when you have a day planner of your preference. Find lots on EtsyCottonOnPaperchase and Ebay. If you're a student, this one might be a pretty choice

2. Tidy. Everyone says tidying is not organising, and it's not, but I find it easier to organise or sit down and make lists when the rest of my house is tidy. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just throw everything that's lying around into their respective rooms or spaces, ready to be organised. Toys into kid's rooms, laundry in laundry basket etc. This will get you started without feeling overwhelmed.

3. Worship your day planner. My planner is with me at all times no matter what. Now put in all the set dates you know. Classes, doctor's appointment, lunch with friends. Everything that is planned, and likely to happen. Your diary should not become your calendar or notebook. Keep them separated. The diary should help you plan, in detail, your day, week and month.

4. Map out your goals. This is an important one because this is what will get you where you want to be. Make a list of 5 or 10 things you want to achieve. May it be this year, in 5 or 10, years. On the next few pages note down what you need to do, on an everyday basis, to achieve them. For instant; I want to be a yoga instructor before the end of 2015. For me to achieve this I need to take at least 2 yoga lessons a week and practice at home every day. I schedule yoga lessons and put them in my diary. Practising at home should go on your to-do list. This will take the weight off the actual goal and put focus on what you need to do to get there. Here's some more good advice on how to achieve goals.

5. Make lists. Every night before you go to bed, make a list of what you need to do the next day. To-do lists are great because the satisfaction of crossing things off is motivation itself. Nat from Dear Little House suggests you first do "what's on the list (or at least some of it) and then you check that nothing else has popped up as a result of the things you've already managed to do! If so, add them to the list."

6. "Unapologetically take control of your time and priorities." Ask yourself the importance of each task. This will help you let go of the less important things when it's getting a little too much. Delegate. Don't be afraid to ask for help, if you're willing to do the same for them.

7. Enjoy life. Organising should not be about being able to fit more work and stress into your schedule. It should be about making room for the little things that matter, while also getting the other stuff done.

Post a Comment